If you are buying property on a recorded mortgage or a recorded contract, and you are a resident of the State of Indiana, you could qualify for a mortgage deduction. The value of the deduction may not exceed the amount of the indebtedness.
The deduction is either one half of your assessed valuation or $3,000, whichever is less. A person owning more than one property may not receive mortgage deductions totaling more than $3,000.
General Instructions for All Deductions
You may file for your deduction at anytime through December 31 the year before taxes are due.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: If you refinance your mortgage, you need to re-file your Mortgage deduction.
The Auditor's office encourages you to complete the application online, but you may also complete it in person. The Auditor's Office is located in the Rousseau Centre, 1 E. Main Street, Suite 102. The office is open from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Monday through Friday. You can reach a customer service representative by calling (260) 449-7241.
How to Submit the Application Online
In order to submit the application online you must have the following:
- A personal e-mail address.
If you meet this requirement, you can access the application as follows:
- Follow the link below to access the application.
- Complete the form by typing directly into the application. Use the tab button to move to the next field and press the mouse button or space bar to select a checkbox field.
- Double-check the information that you typed to make sure it's correct. Ensure you have entered your personal e-mail address. Read through the signature statement and acknowledge your acceptance of it by typing your name.
- Press the Submit button to send your deduction form.
- You will be sent a confirmation email when your application is received in the Auditor's office. Please allow one to two days for this process.